Sunday, October 16, 2011

a little bit stronger


C
ourage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-- Raymond Lindquist 


We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us.
-- Joseph Campbell 



Have you ever let go of something you never imagined you could? This week I had to let go of something that I've been holding onto for years. I finally realized the only way for me to move forward, to live more fully, and to heal--both physically and spiritually--was to let go. By letting go, I regained my self-worth -- without which, I could never expect to go very far. To quote one of my favorite songs, "sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same" [all at once, the fray].


I can sit here and write to you about the most healing foods in the world, the most calming yoga postures, and the benefits of going raw. But, none of that means anything if you don't realize your worth. The first step to healing yourself and the rest of the world is to love yourself unconditionally. I can promise you that if you're still holding onto something that does not build you up, you will have a much more difficult time trying to improve your life--it will seem more of a chore than a pleasure. You will only meet resistance and self-doubt. But, let go of whatever is holding you back -- negative thinking, an unhealthy relationship, an un-admitted addiction -- and get ready for your life to begin. Admitting you need to let go is half the battle. 


Let go of what no longer serves you.


And open your heart to the world that is embracing you and pushing you forward toward your best self. 


This week I got a little bit stronger. And it feels good. 


love & let go,
d


ps ~ if you're interested to read more about what I have to say about the topic of letting go, check out a blog entry I wrote about a year ago: You May Return Here Once You Realize You Are Always Here.