I know this movie tends to tick a lot of people off. People don't understand why some well-off kid would give his money away, leave his family and all of his possessions behind, and set out for Alaska. I get it. As much as I know I would never abandon my loved ones, I must say, I get where Chris is coming from. Sometimes we just need to break through the walls that hold us in, the expectations that come from ourselves and those around us..."society, you're a crazy breed, I hope you're not angry if I disagree." [eddie vedder, society]
I'd actually really love to go on a journey like Chris did, minus the ending, which I won't ruin for anyone who hasn't seen the movie (hint, SEE IT or read the book). I am always longing for the freedom that comes with letting everything go. When we don't have anything, we've got nothing to lose, and that, my friends, is total freedom.
I think this story hits people for a lot of reasons. But I think we can all relate in some way because we each have some "wild" that we are drawn to walk into. And that's where my journey to self-healing begins. I'm leaving behind all that is comfortable and normal to me, and setting out for the wild, the unknown. I have no idea where this journey is going to lead me. What I do know is this: once I step foot into my wild and don't look back, I'll find my freedom. I'll no longer be held back by the chains of sickness and self doubt. I'll be ready to live. More fully than ever before.
Those are some big statements, aren't they? Well, they could be bigger. I'm not going to go into explaining all of the science behind a vegan/raw food lifestyle in today's entry, but what I will say is that this is the answer to almost any physical, spiritual, or mental disparity that you could think up. Again, another big statement. But, let me tell you from experience. I've been suffering from Crohn's Disease for the last fifteen years of my life. After just a couple of days of turning to this lifestyle, the pain subsided. After just a week, I had no symptoms whatsoever, and felt healthier than I have ever felt my entire life. I've met others who have healed themselves of fibromyalgia, depression, diabetes, late stages of cancer, and the list goes on.
Truly, we are what we eat. What we put into our bodies determines just about everything. Ann Wigmore (a famous woman in the raw food healing world) once said, "dead food, dead bodies; live food, live bodies." When we eat food that has been cooked even slightly, our body recognizes it as a toxin, which causes leukocytosis. This basically means that our white blood cell count raises, which is never healthy. On the other hand, feeding our bodies living foods, like uncooked fruits and veggies, fills our bodies with tons of enzymes, increases our immunity, rebuilds our cells, and supports the body to heal itself. For more information on the science and benefits of a raw lifestyle, visit Alissa Cohen's website: http://www.alissacohen.com/raw_faqs.html. Of course, there are tons of more resources that I'll be updating you with throughout my journey.
So many of my friends and family have been asking what they can do to help me. I've been overwhelmed with how loving and incredible people have been throughout my ups & downs of dealing with this disease, I've actually been asked if someone can donate their colon to me! :) People are great. Well, I think I've finally found what you can do to help me. I need your support in staying healthy. I know from experience that this diet is responsible for making me feel my best, but it of course is very counter-cultural. So, all I ask is for your support. And how can you support me? Just by reading this blog I know I've got your support, especially if you're far away. And you could also support me by not offering me cooked food. If you forget, don't worry, I'll forgive you ;)
So, thank you for reading, thank you for your support & prayers, and I'm excited to share this journey with you!
Here we go, day 1. 100% raw. So much more to come...keep checking back :)
"I now walk into the wild..."
love & lettuce,
d

4 comments:
Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open. ~B.K.S. Iyengar
you can do it dana.. love you!!
I love you, P! :) ps...Iyengar is a yoga STUD!
I'm beside you 100%! P said she wants to go partially raw in solidarity - I'm with her!!! :)
aww Kels!! You guys rock...I love you so much <3
Post a Comment